Saturday 21 September 2013

Kids Ministry on a Budget

So I do some 'intense' kids ministry...

Intense because I do it without spending much money at all - if ever! And also because I still feel inadequate and new to it.
I've been at a kids club for the last 3 years. Until this year I was comfortably working to the older kids - grades 4 to 9. Then our main leader for the little ones got sick.
I volunteered to take over.
Since then I've been with the Kindy to year 3's.
And it is tough!

However something I've learned is...
They really don't care what you do as long as its fun.
They just love being around people who smile and talk with them. Ask them about school, their favourite colours and tv shows. Their favourite foods and games.
Mine LOVE drawing - so almost every week we draw pictures.
I tell a bible story and we draw a picture. They then tell the story back to me.
Its fantastic!
It doesn't cost anything because the church already has stacks of blank paper and way too many colouring pencils!



Here's a scan from one of the weeks we looked at how God created the heavens and the Earth!

The other thing I've done with them once or twice before is acting.
Each child picks a character or a plant or building to be from a story. Then you just tell them what to do as you tell the story and then they swap roles. They hear the story at least 6 times and always fight over who gets to be Jesus.

What a great thing to be involved in the teaching of young children!
God is good to me. He may not have given me much cash but he has given me eager hearts and drawing pencils.
What more do we need?


Matthew 18

New International Version (NIV)

The Greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven

18 At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, “Who, then, is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?”
He called a little child to him, and placed the child among them. And he said: “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever takes the lowly position of this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. And whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment