Saturday 28 June 2014

Rich and Poor

I recently recieved an email from an older friend. Some of the content caused me some distress.
Here is why - they refered to me being in poverty.
And while this email was very loving and I could see the care and thought behind it, it also showed me a perspective of life that I haven't come across since I've left home.

You see, in Australia if you live in a low income suburb, far from the city, and your income covers your rent, food and transport you are considered poor.

Now I must admit that I use the phrase 'poor' often, usually in the sentence 'I can't do ...... I'm  a poor student,' but I never mean to use this sentence in a completely sincere manner.

You see, I am actually very rich. Not only compared to the millions of people around the world whose yearly income is the same as my daily train costs; but also spiritually.

Not only has the Lord provided for my immediate needs, he has also provided for me above and beyond what I deserve.

He gave us his son because we all fall short of God's purpose for us. And because of this short fall we can't reach God and know him fully. But through Christ we can be made whole again, and reach God.

God did this for you and I, and when you accept that gift and forgiveness for falling short due to wanting to make our own purposes, you are made whole again.


Galatians 1: 3-5
Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ, who gave himself for our sins to rescue us from the present evil age, according to the will of our God and Father, to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.



I am rich in all areas of life. Including financially, though many would disagree.

I think many people in our society needs to be reminded that our needs and our wants are not the same. In Australia, our needs are often met so often that it becomes assumed that our wants form into our needs instead.

But people! 

We don't need all the things we want! A lot of the things we want distract us from God and tell him that we don't think he's good enough, we don't think what he's given is enough.

But remember, God provides everything, so what more do we need than him?

So even though I can't save much money, even though I can't get a brand new bag when my current one is breaking, or shoes that will last years longer than the cheaper ones  I can afford that only last for months. I know that I am rich and God provides for me.

May I never say to God - "what you've given me is not enough."

Instead let me say - "Thank you for all you've given me, thank you for caring for me and providing all that I need. Thank you that I can often get what I want too. But most importantly, thank you for Jesus Christ and his death and resurrection."

Grace and Peace to you all!


John 3:16-17

New International Version (NIV)
16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.


Here's a link to an article on using money mindfully: http://fervr.net/teen-life/six-steps-to-using-money-gods-way-2

Many Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment