Wednesday 4 December 2013

The Widows Offering

This year I am off on a Scripture Union Family Mission down the south coast of Sydney.
Last year a lovely family from my church paid for me to go. However, this year I have been scrimping and saving along with a few very generous donations from my church.
I have been constantly reminded lately of this story:

Mark 12:41-44

The Widow’s Offering 

 Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts. But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins, worth only a few cents. Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, “Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything—all she had to live on.”



I have been living like this - I however am lucky enough to live with parents who will pay for my food and my shelter but everything else - clothes, transport, outings, teaching supplies, camps, church service food - have been coming out of the small amount of money I receive from the government every fortnight. This amount has been growing smaller and smaller and now I am at the point where all of it goes to University transport except for $4.50.

So as I go to the bank in the next week or so to deposit my money and to empty my savings account I will be thinking of 'the Widow's Offering' and trusting that God will continue to provide everything I need as he has. I am also acknowledging that the things I want will not be coming my way but that is fine. 

God is all I need and God is who I trust!

Many Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment