Tuesday 13 August 2013

Isaiah Chapter One

It all began yesterday when I was doing a quick bible overview with some friends at Uni. I am pretty good with my Old Testament - at least the first 5 books and I'm pretty good with my New Testament. Then it hit me... BAM! I don't know my prophets. One of my lovely best friends/practically sister's has been telling me how much she loves the book of Isaiah.
So here I am. I am going to read Isaiah.
I began last night with Chapter one.
But before I begin to debrief my reading I am going to look up some context/background on this book.

Context: Isaiah according to the New Bible Dictionary 3rd Edition (Marshall, Millard, Packer, Wiseman)
 Isaiah - the Prophet -> Lived in Jerusalem. Possibly of Royal blood/noble descent. Called to be a Prophet around 740 BC. Married with 2 kids. Prophecies centered around Judah and Jerusalem.
Isaiah - the Book -> Judah under the rule of King Uzziah (782-753 BC) - a time of great prosperity. Assyrian threat and the eventual exile to Babylon.

A good friend of mine informed me that Isaiah is written in 2 sections. 1. to Jerusalem in the time of the Assyrian threat and a Prophesy of exile to Babylon. 2. The future of Jerusalem and Israel toward the end of the Babylonian exile and a look to the future heaven and earth. The new Zion.

Now that I've got some sort of Context, although I might not completely understand it, at least I have something to bounce my understanding off.

Chapter One
(I'm reading an NLT - New Living Translation - although I enjoy and mostly read the NIV - New International Version pre-2011 edition)

The first feelings I had for this passage were sadness. The idea of visions is pretty cool as well. The introduction verses are always a good way to see what's going on and what the purpose of the text is.
The two major headings I find are "A Message for Rebellious Judah" and "Unfaithful Jerusalem". Not a good start guys!

On Judah - 1:2-20
What a sad thing, for God to exclaim how Judah has turned from him. The fact that they are compared to animals makes a strong statement. Isaiah reflects how God cares of his people yet they still turn from him. They do not appreciate him. They are corrupt and do not follow his teachings. The land they live in is ravaged, they have been attacked and barely made it out alive. The imagery of sickness is extremely compelling. Verse 9 - the comparison to the fact that if not for God they would have been wiped out like Sodom and Gomorrah.
The leaders of the people are always addressed - this is something I have notices throughout. They lead Gods people and are responsible for their welfare. However this is not happening - see verse 10.
How incredible is it that God says that he is "sick" of their sacrifices. The people have forgotten about what a sacrifice means. They have forgotten about the reparation of the relationship between them and God., Sacrificing in that time without the intention of sin removal was worthless in Gods eyes. The repentance just doesn't seem to be there. If there is no repentance then there is no meaning for the sacrifice. They are meaninglessly slaughtering Gods creation for their own traditions and feelings. verse 12/13 - "Why do you keep parading in my courts with your worthless sacrifices? The incense you bring me is stench to my nostrils!"

Verse 15 - "From now on, when you lift up your hands in prayer, I will refuse to look. Even though you offer many prayers, I will not listen. For your hands are covered with the blood of your innocent victims."
How sad it is when God chooses to turn from his people because of their wickedness. When he has cared for them and stopped them from being destroyed yet they continue to go against his will. They seem to have no respect for his love or his actions.

But here God is calling for REDEMPTION AND FORGIVENESS, he says "No matter how deep your sins, I can remove it. I can make you clean as freshly fallen snow." (Verse 18)

God is always good! He always gives an alternative. Follow him and enjoy his love and care or turn and be destroyed. I don't know about you but I choose to follow.

On Jerusalem - 1: 21-31
Compared to a Prostitute and filled with murderers! Worthless slag! Watered-down wine! God speaks differently of Jerusalem here. And a lot less too. A notion that Jerusalem has already repented is seen in verse 27 but before that Isaiah is speaking of the city as if it is going to be redone, made-over.  The removal of impurities and the restoration of Judges. To be known as a "Home of Justice" and "The Faithful City" (verse 26).
It seems that without God in Jerusalem the people will wither away and be destroyed.
It interesting how Isaiah speak of Jerusalem remembering what it was like before God restored them and that they will be shamed and blush. A stark image of what it means to be with God and to be without God,

And thats the End of Isaiah 1. A lot of stuff in a short time.
Reminds me of how powerful God is and how much he values his relationships with his people. Hoe much he wants them to follow him and let him care for them. After all he is their creator, who says he hasn't got the right to these things? Who else has the authority to dictate these things?

Only God Alone!

No comments:

Post a Comment